North Dakota Taxpayer Access Point (ND TAP) is an online system taxpayers can use to submit electronic returns and payments to the Office of State Tax Commissioner. This free and secure site allows taxpayers to manage their North Dakota tax accounts from any device, at any time.
ND TAP uses industry standard security features like multi-factor authentication and allows you to grant access to key individuals who may need to access your account, such as an employee, payroll provider, or tax preparer.
Tax accounts that can be accessed using ND TAP include:
- Aviation Fuel Tax
- Beer Tax
- Cigarette & Tobacco Tax
- Income Tax Withholding (for employers)
- Liquefied Petroleum Gas Tax
- Liquor Tax
- Local Lodging and Restaurant / Local Lodging Tax
- Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax
- Prepaid Wireless
- Property Tax (reports due by cities, counties, and some businesses)
- Royalty Withholding (for businesses)
- Sales, Use, and Gross Receipts Tax
- Special Fuel Tax
Using ND TAP Has Advantages
- View return and payment history at any time.
- Access all your accounts in one place, even multiple tax accounts.
- File returns early but wait to pay by scheduling your payment for a future date.
- Easily amend returns at any time.
- Electronic copies of correspondence, such as notices and letters, are kept in the system for easy viewing.
- Lose the paper and stamps! File returns online with instant confirmation your returns and payments have been received.
- Cut down on errors and reduce penalties – lots of the math is done for you!
- Receive notifications via email if you have a missing return and get reminders when it is time to file a return.
FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Sign Up For Access
- Creates a ND TAP Logon and password. An authorization code will be either mailed or emailed to you or the business depending on the access level chosen.
Log into TAP
- Once you received your authorization code you may log into ND TAP. The authorization code is only good for the very first time you log into TAP. You may throw the code away after successfully logging into the system.
Add access to account(s)
- Once you are in your ND TAP account, you may need to add access to your accounts if you do not already have access.
Please complete the following steps to close your TAP account:
- Log into your ND TAP account.
- Select “Settings”
- Click on “Cancel My Logon”
You will be required to enter your password confirming the cancellation
When you log into TAP, you will be directed to your Home page. From your Home page, select the account number you want to file a return for by clicking on the blue “Account ID” link.
Once you click on the “Account ID” link, the Account page containing account information and a list of available filing periods will be displayed. Locate the desired return period and click on the blue period link. Go to the “I Want To” section on the Period page and click the “file, amend, or print a return” link.
Follow the steps to complete the return. Once the return is submitted, a summary page will be displayed. If there is a balance due for the return, you will be prompted to make a payment.
ND TAP processes the files every night through our nightly job stream. If the file has no errors, the return will be processed the next day. You will be notified if the file was submitted with errors.