Monday, March 18, 2024 - 11:50 am

Tax Commissioner Brian Kroshus reminds North Dakota homeowners of the upcoming March 31st application deadline for both the Primary Residence Credit (PRC) and the Homestead Property Tax Credit program.

“Our top priority is to ensure that everyone who is eligible for either credit, receives them,” stated Commissioner Kroshus. “With this goal in mind, I strongly encourage all eligible residents of the state, to apply for either or if eligible, both programs and take full advantage of their availability before the quickly approaching March 31, 2024, deadline.”

The PRC provides all North Dakota homeowners with the opportunity to apply online and potentially reduce their 2024 tax bill by up to five hundred dollars. The PRC tax credit has no age or income restrictions.

Another program, the Homestead Property Tax Credit, was expanded during the past legislative session, allowing more residents to qualify than in the past. The changes made during the session significantly increased the maximum allowed income level from $42,000 to $70,000 and the maximum reduction of the homeowner’s taxable value from $5,625 to $9,000.  

The Homestead Property Tax Credit eligibility requirements which are different than the PRC include:

  • 65 years of age or older in the year for which the application is made


Permanent and total disability (proof of disability must be established)

  • Own and occupy the property listed on the application

  • Have an income less than $70,000 

“I can’t stress enough the importance of applying for the credits before the deadline, in order to receive the credit on the property tax statement you will receive in December,” Commissioner Kroshus said. 

The Commissioner encourages all North Dakota homeowners to review the specific eligibility requirements and apply before the March 31st deadline at and or call 701-328-7988 or toll free 877-649-0112 for more information.

For more information on North Dakota tax-related programs, please visit the Office of the State Tax Commissioner’s website at or connect with us on social media.